The disease surveillance program serves as an early warning system in the detection of mosquito-borne viruses that can infect people and animals.
The District uses the following factors to assess health risk in your community:
- Higher-than-average daily temperatures
- Mosquito Population Monitoring – Using traps set up in every community
- Mosquito Testing for Diseases
- Dead Birds – A CA state program: Dead birds help determine spread of West Nile virus
- Sentinel Chickens – Chickens develop antibodies to West Nile virus, which can be detected by testing.
Using these measurements, the District is able to protect your health by responding appropriately to mosquito-borne disease threats.
Year-to-Date Statistics for 2021
2021 WNV+ Mosquito Samples
There are currently no positive mosquito samples within our jurisdiction.
2021 WNV+ Dead Birds
There are currently no positive dead birds within our jurisdiction.