Employment opportunities at GLACVCD
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Monthly Salary FY 2013-2014
$6,669 - $8,284
FILING DEADLINE: January 8, 2014 at 5:00pm
Under the general direction and supervision of the General Manager, and in collaboration with other departmental Directors, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources program and services including evaluating human resources policies, programs, and practices. The Human Resources Director, in conjunction with the General Manager, originates and leads practices and objectives that provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes accountability, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and high employee morale to produce a highly motivated and quality workforce.
The Director of Human Resources reports directly to the General Manager and works in collaboration with the Operations Director, Scientific-Technical Services Director, Community Affairs Director and Finance Director. This position will serve as a member of the Management Team and supervises the Human Resources Assistant.
The Human Resources Director is a professional management position that provides overall direction and coordination, implementation, and evaluation for Human Resources functions, including all policies and employee records for the District.
- In conjunction with the General Manager, oversees employee relations, including corrective actions, grievance procedures, legal and regulatory compliance, documentation for terminations, investigations, layoffs, and all employee-related confidential records – consults with legal counsel, as appropriate;
- Performance management and improvement systems;
- Policy development and documentation – communicates changes to policies and procedures to employees through written communications and training sessions to staff, supervisory personnel, and management;
- Develops a Human Resources recordkeeping and filing system that meets District HR information needs and requirements, complying with federal and state laws and regulations;
- Develops and implements program for employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health;
- Workers’ Compensation Administration
- Provides employee services and counseling;
- Organizational development;
- Supervision of office administration services, including reception area;
- Compensation and Benefit administration;
- Facilities and Space Planning;
- Provides support to Directors in the recruitment of all staff;
- Employee orientation and training;
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and insures District’s compliance;
- Responsible for District compliance with Federal and State legislation pertaining to all personnel matters;
- Works directly with Department Directors to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters;
- Provide advice and guidance on individual employee relations cases, ensuring that these are well managed and meet the District’s policies, best practices and employment legislation;
- Oversees development and monitoring of the human resources department budget;
- Participates on committees and special projects and carries out additional duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- B.A. or B.S. degree with emphasis in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Employee Relations, Business Administration or related subject. An advanced degree or professional certification preferred, including certification for Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or a California Certification from the Human Resources Certification Insistute (HRCI).
- Minimum of 5-8 years as a general human resources professional with progressively responsible growth in management responsibilities and development of overall human resources function. Work experience in a state or local government agency environment preferred.
- ADA, FMLA, CFRA, DFEH Administration
- Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- Administration Management
- Finance/Budget Management
- Affordable Care Act requirements
- Litigation Management
- Arbitration, Mediations, Discrimination / Personnel Investigations
- Project Management
- Knowledge of CalPERS system highly desirable
Possession of a current valid California driver’s license will be required at the time of appointment and must be maintained throughout employment. Must be insurable with the District’s insurance carrier.
Light Work – Incumbent performs work which involves infrequent lifting, pushing, and/or pulling of objects of approximately 25 pounds. Light to moderate lifting is an infrequent aspect of this class.
Mobility – Incumbent must have complete and normal mobility to accomplish all duties of this position.
Other Conditions – Must be willing to travel within and outside the county to attend special meetings and seminars; must be willing to attend periodic evening or weekend meetings.
POST-OFFER PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
A medical doctor must certify that a candidate is able to perform the duties of the position and is free of illegal substances as determined by a drug screen. The post-offer physical examination (POPE) and drug screen shall be paid by the District. Until the candidate successfully completes and satisfies the requirement of the POPE, all employment officers are conditional and not guaranteed.
The selected candidate must agree to a background check via Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) consumer report and a DOJ/FBI fingerprint LIVE SCAN. GLACVCD utilizes E-Verify.
The cost of the LIVE SCAN will be the responsibility of the selected candidate subsequent to an offer of employment.
The District reserves the right to modify, delete, augment, or supplement the duties, qualifications, and requirements stated at its sole and absolute discretion.
Please submit completed District Application and Cover letter to:
GLACVCD Employment Application
Attn: Shenell Benson-Williams
Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District
12545 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Phone: (562) 944-9656
Fax: (562) 944-7976
GLACVCD Employment Application (Download and submit to the email listed in the job description)